Monday, March 9, 2009
Reaction to Metamorphosis
After reading the selection about Metamorphosis I was a little confused. But as I reread the selection I understood the concept of the book. Gregor was once a salesman and when he woke up one morning he was a big giant insect. His family didn't believe it was him because he was such a horrifying sight and they didn't want to believe such a thing. Throughout the book his family didn't accept him as an insect and showed no care or love for him. They changed his whole entire room around and made him feel like an actual insect which is a sign of neglectance. They would rarely feed him or bathe him and as time progressed he got sick because of his living conditions. Toward the end when his sister played the violin she saw that he was enjoying the playing, but it was to late for them to actually see the real Gregor and he died. This book shows more of a life lesson then a school lesson. It shows not to neglect and deny your kid love even if they change physically or even mentally because in the end when they are gone you are going to really miss them and wish that when they were still here you would have not neglected them. This doesn't go for parents or families, but for everyone who has a loved one. If your loved one has changed drastically you shouldn't give up and not accept them as a person, you should try to help them and make them feel comfortable no matter what because ignorance leads to negative decisions and thoughts. There is always room for love in someones life and helping people even if you don't know them can help people change their outlook on life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I totally agreed with you about we should love our loves ones while they changed in physically or mentally because we cannot take everything for granted and cherish what we have with love ones.
ReplyDeletei happen to agree with you when you say " ignorance leads to negative desicons and thoughts". When people fail to understand something it generates fear. They tend to make irratinal descions based on there knowledge. Gregor's family never grasped the reality that he was still a human being despite his "bug- like" characteristics. i do think that if it wasn't for Gregor's death the change that happened within the family wouldnt have existed. they were forced to become independent. With something bad always comes something good.
ReplyDeleteWhen I started reading the story of Gregor and his metamorphosis I also felt confused. It got so bad that I had to stop and finish later. I guess I was more bored by it then confused though. This was because some parts felt slow. I guess it was written like this to add to the mood or maybe I'm the only one who felt like this. The point is after reading more of the chapters I began to get really interested in it and I wanted to find out more about what happens to Gregor. I could assume that because of the way its written there are allot of messages that you can take away from it. I would have never thought about the message that you came up with. I think that the idea about caring for your loved ones no mater what could definitely be a message. Especially since we learned that he did not have a good relationship with his father. This could also relate to the idea that Gregor represents Kafka and the family in the book represents how his family was or how he pictured it. I also think that no matter what happens to a loved one you should never give up like Gregor's family gave up on him towards the end. I think his parents were irresponsible and kind of cold hearted.
ReplyDeleteIt is interesting that you read into novella as one that should teach us to treat our children better. Be more aware of your conventions.
ReplyDeleteGrade: 3/4